My name is High Greed and I’ve currently got around 2.5k games my favourite boomerang lady. I managed to reach champion 2 and will explain my knowledge gathered in the following:
Taya is a really rewarding champion to play but she’s also quite hard. You have to practice a lot since it all depends on aim and positioning.
There’s a variety of different combos you can do. Those all lead to a high damage output which makes Taya really good at clutch situations as well as carrying in soloq.
M1: The best spell you have which will be the biggest part in your damage output. Never forget trying to hit the returning boomerang.
Ex M2: A bit hard to use but it’s really strong since it cancels counters on return.
Wind Bomb (E): Able to cancel counters (Eg. Shifu Q), shields (Eg. Oldur Q), parry (Eg. Raigon Q)or any kind of spell like that. Allies can use it aswell, try using it at the right time so your whole team can get a benefit from it. For Example : If you got a Croak in your team use it right at the start, so he can easily surprise enemies with a fast stealth stun.
Wind Strike (Q) / Zephyr (EX Q): Instead of re-applying Haste as i told you before, it’s also a really good spell to take orb with or knock the enemy into a worse position. You can also interrupt a shield (Eg. Oldur Q, Bakko Q) if u are striking them in the back.
Tornado(R) : Only use it to help someone else except yourself if you’re safe enough.
Ultimate(F) : It’s not so good to use it all the time since Tornado and Zephyr are your only escapes.
3. Battlerite Overview
– Surprise Attack: more mobility , easier to combo with your teammate or to surprise someone who’s standing in the back.
– Cross Cut: M1 + M2 and you can take an easy orb, more damage is always good.
– Wind Fury: re-apply Haste , obligatory battlerite. Hard to use in the beginning but when you do it with a good timing you will have haste up 60 percent of the time.
– Cyclone: a second stun, always good to get more control when you have all escapes on cooldown. Sometimes you can sneak in a free M1.
– Wind Stream: Longer Haste, it is mandatory so you can combo easier with Wind Fury.
Some other Battlerites that are viable :
– Throwing Technique: really good BR, lot of range to surprise the enemies but less damage because you wil literally have to cut cross cut.
– Breath of Air: Personaly I don’t use it, but other good Tayas are using it well.
5. How to Play (in general)
There are many different ways to play her and I will explain the basic pattern you want to follow every game.
The first thing to care about is putting the most pressure possible on your opponents with M1. Try controlling the center of the map including the orb and don’t let enemies come close to you. Don’t stay alone too much, only if you feel like you can punish someone. With the range of X-strike you can easily destroy the backline, especially the support. As main dps of your team you should be one of the last to die. Play with the support, he is your best friend while both of you try to not get caught. You are also the character on your team who’s main priority is the orb, so focus on it by staying close to mid. If you are too far away mount up and go back with your teammate. Using the mobility of Taya you can take advantage of catching someone out of position and retreating after. She is really good in chasing and escaping.
Against counters : bait them by cancelling M1 or X-Strike. Wait until the end of the animation before you do so.
6. Strengths and Weaknesses
Escapes cost energy
If you fail you can die instantly
Probably most constant damage in the game
Can’t protect yourself
Huge outplay potential
The difficulty is rated from 0 (easiest matchup) to 10 (hardest matchup) and based around my experience of playing against those characters at a high level.
Alysia (Difficulty 4 out of 10)
– Punish the jump with M1 and X-Strike or stun her on a wall if u can to damage with ur teammate.
– Never let her freeze you. Avoid it with Ex-Q or run away.
– Dodge the M2 with your mobility.
– Don’t hit her R.
– Easy to get orb against.
Ashka (Difficulty 8 out of 10)
– hard matchup because of his mobility and the zoningpotential.
– Try to wait when he uses a firewall (R) or M2.
– When he casts M2 try to X-Strike him.
– You still have more damage on your M1. Try to abuse it.
– If there is no wall you can take the orb easily.
Bakko (Difficulty 7 out of 10)
– Avoid his shield or cancel dash with the Wind Bomb.
– Use Tornado or Zephyr to escape his space.
– Use your range to poke him and dodge his axe (M2) with Haste
– After he used jump (Space) bait out the shield (Q) with fakecasts. Then you can X-Strike.
– Your Ex M2 his really good against his shield.
Blossom (Difficulty 4 out of 10)
– Use the tree to farm free energy if u can’t hit someone
– You can easily put pressure on her. Save your X-Strike until after she jumped(Space).
– Cancel her R with Zephyr
– Don’t forget to poke with M1
– Avoid the Ultimate with an instantanious X-Strike or Zephyr
Croak (Difficulty 6 out of 10)
– Croak is a tricky matchup but if you play it well he will have a really hard time to take you down.
– When you know he’s going to stun you knock him back with Q.
– You can also do it when he try’s to jump on you but be careful to run away from the second jump.
– Poke him with M1 and go chase him when he used frog leap (Space).
– You have to preshoot his dash (E) with X-Strike to punish him.
– Try to make him waste his jump by running away. Eventually you will make him get crazy.
Destiny (Difficulty 8 out of 10)
– If she tries to roll into you knock her back with Q.
– Don’t enter the wall, it’s a death zone. Just wait it out or try attacking from another angle.
– Dodge her M2 with Tornado, the silence is horrible for Taya.
Ezmo (Difficulty 8 out of 10)
– Due to his double dash(Space) and the shield (Q) he his really hard to hit.
– You can cancel the shield if he doesn’t use EX Q.
– Don’t let him grab (M2) you or you will probably die.
– You got more range. Use it as advantage.
Freya (Difficulty 6 out of 10)
– Take care about the counter (Q) and don’t stay near a wall because of her incaps.
– Play with most range possible.
– Ex M2 works great to surprise Freya.
– She got a lot of i-frames to dodge X-Strike. Try to preshoot when she used one of them.
– When she can land M1s use Tornado to get away.
Iva (Difficulty 4 out of 10)
– Iva doesn’t have lot of spells you need to worry about.
– The most important one is the silence(E). Take care to not use a spell when he lands it.
– M1 her to force the Space and X-Strike after.
– Her R can be a problem if she’s got rite to stun. Stay way from it.
– It’s really hard for Iva to Rocket(M2) you if you use the mobility of Taya.
– Obviously you have more damage and range on M1.
Jade (Difficulty 8 out of 10)
– This matchup his really even but the Snipe (M2) can destroy you if you are too greedy. The good thing is you can do the same with X-Strike while she’s standing still during cast and dodge the projectile with your mobility.
– It’s really important to know Jade’s stealth movement.
– Take care about the silence.
– The root (EX M2) can be canceld by space or if u re-apply Haste .
– It’s hard to take orb against her.
Jamila (Difficulty 4 out of 10)
– Same as Croak. Knock her back with Q when she his invisible (Counter proc).
– Run away from her jump (Space).
– You can easily poke or punish her with an X-Strike.
– The hook (E) can put you in a bad situation. Don’t forget about it.
Jumong (Difficulty 7 out of 10)
– You can abuse your range to surprise him.
– But his zoning with trap (E) and rain of arrows (Q) will make your life hard.
– If he is alone you can go deep on him but you have to dodge his stuff.
– He his really weak at the start without energy. Try to use it.
Lucie (Difficulty 3 out of 10)
– Putting pressure on Lucie is really easy. Just don’t let her play.
– She cannot really dodge your X-strike except with R.
– She can cleanse Haste with her Q. Be aware about it.
– Wait until the end of barrier(Space) to burst her.
– Carefull with the panic.
Oldur (Difficulty 5 out of 10) – Hard to take orb if he uses bubble (EX Q).
– When he jumped(space) cancel the shield(Q) with Wind Bomb and destroy him.
– He can waste a lot of time. Try to not focus him and surprise him with a turnaround.
– You can do a trick with his Ultimate. When the stun is about to land come dodge it with Zephyr (EX Q). You are able to deal damage to Oldur (sometimes even stun him) and turn the situation to your advantage.
Pearl (Difficulty 7 out of 10)
– She is really annoying but not really able to kill you.
– Be patient on bubble (E), avoid the counter (Q) with Wind Bomb.
– Punish the jump (Space) with X-Strike.
– Dodge her silence with your mobility.
– It’s hard to take orb against because of all the bubbles.
Pestilus (Difficulty 2 out of 10)
– You can use the queen(Q) to re-apply Haste or to farm energy.
– Put pressure on him to force the jump(space) and go for him afterwards.
– The only thing you have to take care is panic (E) and him stealing the orb with M2.
– Don’t let him put the queen on top of you.
Poloma (Difficulty 3 out of 10)
– You outrange and outcast her completly. This matchup is pretty easy if you bait her right.
– When she heals (M1) someone surprise her with a long range xtrike (still try to suprise her)
– Poke her constantly with M1. If she used otherside(M2) your ultimate can destroy her easily.
– Don’t let her come close to you to land a panic (Q).
– Use Zephyr to not get paniced.
Raigon (Difficulty 8 out of 10)
– There are a lot a things you need to pay attention to.
– Don’t let him knock you up with E.
– Care to not use Wind Strike on the parry(Q). Cancel it with Wind Bomb.
– It’s pretty hard to X-Strike him. Ex M2 is a nice idea.
– Use the range, if possible knock him back with Q and Tornado away when he jumps(Space) on you.
– Don’t stay alone against him.
Rook (Difficulty 8 out of 10)
– The matchup only isn’t even more difficult because there is a hard trick which helps you survive:
When he charges(Space) towards you you gotta use Q at the right time to knock him back. He will be at the perfect distance for you to gain advantage of the situation.
– Don’t hit a counter or you will take a lot of damage.
– His combo can destroy you with the huge amount of crowd-control.
– Don’t stay near wall and Tornado to escape from M2.
– Cancel his counter or space with Wind Bomb.
– Don’t hesitate to focus him if you saw him useing M2 and counter and you have enough damage to down him fast.
Ruh Kaan (Difficulty 9 out of 10)
– Probably one of the hardest matchups.
– Silence(M1) and grab(E) can cancel Haste combo.
– Grab (E) is the thing you need to pay the most attention to.
– He has good mobility to get close to you and can avoid your Q with shield (Q).
– You can do the Zephyr cancel on his shield.
– You can Q when he jumps before his charged M1.
– When he ults it’s easy for you to burst him.
Shifu (Difficulty 10 out of 10)
– Hardest Matchup.
– He can easily escape from your damage.
– Cancel his counter(Q) to hit him easily.
– Don’t let him stay near you.
– You have to dodge M2 and incap(R) with Tornado or Zephyr.
– His ultimate can easily be canceled.
Sirius (Difficulty 5 out of 10)
– Sirius only has one jump(Space) if you avoid hitting the counter.
– You can knock him back after he landes his jump + M1 or R + M1 with Q
– Petrify can be dodge by Haste but use an escape(EX M2, R) to get away if neccesary.
Taya (Difficulty 9 out of 10)
– The matchup is all on mind games.
– There are two ways to play this matchup:
– Let her engage to waste Haste and go all on her. If she used the basic combo at start you can win the trade.
– Don’t let the enemy Taya deal a lot of damage as you know how what she is able to do. It’s your job to go on her.
– Stun her with Zephyr. Dodge X-Strike with Tornado.
– You can cancel her X-Strike with wind bomb to land it first use Zephyr to not let her knock you back.
Thorn (Difficulty 4 out of 10)
– Pretty easy to destroy him.
– After he burrowed(Space) use the classic combo to down him. Don’t care about the R if there is no ally nearby.
– Thorn can only entangle(E) to CC you. So dodge it.
– You can dodge the space with Zephyr to knock him on a wall.
– Use your range to poke him.
– Don’t let him grab you.
Varesh (Difficulty 4 out of 10)
– It all depends on dodging
– Varesh doesn’t have a good mobility. Abuse yours to dodge everything and hit him.
– Avoid counter with Wind Bomb.
– Use Tornado if you would get silenced.
– You can hit the shield and break it easy.
Zander (Difficulty 5 out of 10)
– Don’t let him sheep you.
– You can apply pressure easy.
– Predict the X-Strike after his space.
– Use illusions to reapply Haste if neccesary.
8. Team Compositions
Taya is really easy to put in a team composition. But there are some components you need to have if you want to enable the whole potential of the champ.
Control champs like Bakko, Croak , Rook are really good to combo with. You land free X-Strikes or both use your own stun to combo with.
Supporting champs like Poloma, Blossom or Zander will provide some kind of protection so you can play more agressive.
Another burst champ : you can also choose to deal even more damage together with a Destiny or Ezmo.